Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Drum!

When we went to the farmer's market this weekend I also picked up some fresh drum. It is quite common in Louisiana, but it isn't used in any recipes that I could find (that were healthy). So I decided to improvise and I used a recipe that was meant for snapper. They are both salt-water fish so I figured it might work. It turned out to be really delicious and I look forward to getting more drum before the summer is up.

Oven-roasted Drum Fillet adapted from Skinny Taste



2 Drum fillets
2 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic cut cross-sectionally
1 tbsp fresh oregano and 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
1 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumps
Lemon to serve with the fish

Preheat oven to 450˚F.
Clean and rinse the fish off. Dry the fish off.
Line a broiler rack or pan with aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil on it.
Rub the dry fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Rub the oregano and Italian seasoning on. Place some of the garlic on one side of the fish before transferring and putting it in the pan. Place garlic on the other side of the fish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the fish.

I know the original recipe doesn't involve baking it with the garlic, but I found that it really adds to the flavor. Justin, also, really loves garlic so that was definitely a motivation to incorporate more garlic into the recipe. For side-dishes, I served it with wild-rice and broccoli.  I'm sure that it would have tasted amazing with snapper. But if you have a drum lying around I recommend using this recipe as opposed to deep-frying it.

1 comment: