Sunday, September 4, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

It was another rainy day in New Orleans. I was super productive this morning so I figured it was okay for me to veg out on TV for the rest of the afternoon. I ended up spending a huge amount of time watching Mad Men on Netflix. It's probably one of my guiltiest pleasures (next to watching Frasier marathons on Hallmark). It makes me want to channel my own inner Joan and dress in fantastic outfits that highlight my curves. Unfortunately we don't have the funds for me to revamp my entire wardrobe so I guess I'll have to wait until I become an amazing Pathologist.
Of course I had to pair it with another one of my guilty pleasures- baking chocolate chip cookies. I found a recipe last week for what seemed like the best cookie idea ever. The recipe was for chocolate chip stuffed cookies by What's Gaby Cooking. You basically take chocolate chip cookie dough and make a small little pocket. You fill the pocket with chocolate chips and then cover it with another piece of dough. It ends up melting a small little pocket of chocolate chips in the middle of the cookie. My husband described it as a "chocolate surprise". It is probably one of the best chocolate cookie recipes I've made in a while!

Chocolate Chip Surprise Cookies
Adapted from What's Gaby Cooking
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups plus 4 tbsp of chocolate chips

Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl.
In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually add in the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour.
Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
Using a tablespoon scoop out the cookies onto the baking sheet. Using your thumb or the back of the tablespoon indent the ball of cookie. Fill the ball of cookie with chocolate chips and then cover it with a second piece of cookie dough. Make sure to seal the edges so that the chocolate chips can't escape.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Transfer the cookies to the cooling rack.
Eat warm with a cold glass of milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment